Yesterday was the inaugural meet and greet for a new meetup.com natural hair meetup that just started in my city! I was SO elated when it showed up in my feed. I joined immediately.
It was an hour’s drive for me (in the future we will meet more centrally–phew!!). We met at a Mexican restaurant I’d never been to before that had DELICIOUS shrimp nachos. (They were to LIVE for!!!) Only 3 of the 48 meetup members attended.
While we ate we talked hair, and it was FABULOUS talking with folks who were equally as knowledgeable and passionate about hair as I was.
Some of the topics broached included:
- potential activities and events for future meetings,
- protein-moisture balance,
- working on the hair in sections,
- doing twist outs on dryer, straighter hair for better results,
- skin care (apparently hot water, shea butter, rose water, rosehip seed oil, and the occasional cleansing with African black soap are magic!!!),
- natural versus synthetic products,
- the potential damage that color can do,
- Camille Rose Naturals,
- Kinky Curly,
- DIY oil mixes,
- less-well known oils such as tamanu oil and hyssop oil,
- whether hourglass rollers were any more effective than magnet rollers,
- whether wash-and-go’s are healthful or not,
- wash day durations (LOL!),
- finger detangling versus detangling with tools,
- whether anyone should care about how anyone reacts to natural hair,
- and more.
I came away inspired to thicken up my ends and make wash-and-go’s less tangly. To that end, this weekend I will be doing the following:
- Getting my shower filter installed (I recently learned that we have VERY hard hair),
- Chelating again (once the shower filter is installed),
- Patch testing Morrocco Method Curl Power, and
- Trying to improve my Kinky Curly Curling Custard wash-and-go.
Have you ever participated in a natural hair group? If so, how did it fare? What types of activities did you do?
What are your weekend hair plans?
Finally, what are your favorite wash-and-go products? Do you have a favorite gel and leave-in? Or, do you avoid wash-and-go’s altogether?
Have a great weekend, and as always, happy healthy hair journeying!